Ancestry.ca Hands-On Workshops
Wednesday, Aug. 10: 9am - 12pm & 1pm - 4pm
Join Lesley Anderson of Ancestry.ca for these hands-on workshops held at Trent Univesity in the computer lab. Workshops are $50 each and space is limited. Click the Reserve Now! button below to register.
Workshop 1: 9am - 12pm
Searching Effectively on Ancestry
*Note: Attendees will have access to Ancestry.ca/World Deluxe. Bring memory sticks. Also bring your research info, (i.e. family group sheets or pedigree charts) to conduct searches in class.
- Overview of Ancestry
- Membership/Logging in, Customizing your Home page, Quick Links, Shoebox, Accessing other sites, What’s New
- Getting Started
- Global Search, Category Search and Websearch
- Search options
- Exact Matches, Variations and Wildcards
- Browsing by Location
- Card Catalog
- Viewing, Printing and Saving Images
- Ancestry Member Connect
- Message Boards
- Where to find help!
Workshop 2: 1pm - 4pm
Starting your Online Family Tree
*Note – Attendees will have access to Ancestry.ca/World Deluxe. Bring memory sticks and if you have a family tree program on your computer, export it to a GEDCOM file and bring that to the workshop.
- GEDCOM format – Uploading and downloading this and other Family tree program files
- Managing your Online Tree – Privacy settings, inviting others, viewing
- Profile Pages
- Tree Hints – Auto Searching
- Attaching records to someone in your tree
- Source Citations
- Viewing and Printing a family tree – Group sheets and Pedigree Charts
- Member Connect - Merging info from other family trees, Contacting other members
- What happens when I leave ancestry as a paying member?
- Family Tree Maker 2012 Software for Computers